Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."

When I started this "photography thing" a year and a half ago, I NEVER thought I would be where I am today.  I still have a long way to go, but I'm going!  The good thing about the road that I am on is there is no map.  I can go wherever I want.  Who knows where it will take me. 

This is a VERY competitive industry and can be intimidating at times.  I have been struggling with the intimidation aspect of this for quite some time.  I have no formal education or training in photography, never had a class, never really read any photography books.  The extent of my professional training has been several Googled subjects and lots of questions answered by different pros across the country.  So on the rare occasion I do get to speak with a professional, it is so scary for me.  I'm always afraid they are going to ask a question about my white balance, aperture or lens and I'm not going to have a clue WHAT to say!  Okay, actually that has happened...a lot, but WHO CARES!!!  I mean, I used to...BIG TIME, but why?  Is a client really going to ask after I take a picture, "Okay, so, what shutter speed did you have that set on?"....uhm, NO!  I have accepted the fact that I don't have to explain myself to other photographers.  Finally.

I am learning that there is much more to owning a photography business than taking some pictures, getting paid and moving on to the next session.  It is hard work.  Taking your picture is the easy part, the fun part.  After a session the pictures have to be reviewed, the not-so-good ones deleted, the good ones downloaded, the selected few edited, all 700+ Meg(a-somethings) uploaded, labels created, packaging made pretty, etc. etc.  So regardless of their style, I have a TON of respect for ALL professional photographers. 

With my respect for all photographers, I understand if after we've spoken, you choose to have someone else take your pictures.  Honestly.  I want you to be happy with images that represent YOU and your family.  I've even told potential clients that I just don't think we're a good match, and referred them to someone else.  Not that I don't want their business, I just don't want to change my style.  I've had photographers criticize my lighting and question my rates, the funny thing about it, one of those photographers then asked me to work for them!  The bottom line is, I don't care.  I'm not here to please my "competition".  My style is my style.  My lighting is my lighting and my rates are my rates.  I appreciate each and every one of my clients and fans and am in awe that I have regulars that I have been working with since I started this.  So as long as my clients are happy, I continue to see smiles on their faces when they see their pictures, strangers still approach me in public to tell me how much they enjoy my photos, and I continue to enjoy taking photos, I am going to take pictures...of clients...

I thank God each and every day for giving me the courage to push my limits, learn and grow.  I also thank all of you who stand BESIDE me and walk with me down this road, wherever I end up, I hope that you are there with me.
-"If you can dream it, you can do it." {Walt Disney}

No comments:

Post a Comment